ISELIN, N.J. (May 8, 2012) – Bergman Real Estate Group, a privately owned real estate investment firm that owns and manages office properties throughout New Jersey, today announced that five buildings in its portfolio have earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) EnergyStar certification. The designation signifies that the buildings meet the high energy-efficiency performance levels set by the EPA, and perform in the top 25 percent of commercial buildings nationwide.
Introduced by the EPA in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership designed to reduce greenhouse emissions through energy efficiency, the EnergyStar energy performance scale helps organizations assess how efficiently their buildings use energy relative to similar buildings nationwide. In order to receive EnergyStar certification, a building must score a minimum of 75 (on a scale of 1-100).
According to the EPA, energy represents 30 percent of the typical office building’s costs, making it a property’s single largest operating expense. On average, EnergyStar-certified buildings use 35 percent less energy than standard buildings.
“We realize the importance of doing everything possible to increase the energy efficiency of our portfolio,” said Steven Bergman, chief operating officer for Bergman Real Estate Group. “In addition to playing a critical role in protecting our environment, this commitment to energy efficiency aids in reducing operating costs, which translates to savings for our tenants.”
The following Bergman properties received EnergyStar certification for the first time in 2012:
- 100 South Jefferson Road in Whippany — one of the two three-story buildings comprising the 172,000-square-foot Jefferson Plaza, 100 South Jefferson features an on-site café, an on-site building manager, fiber optics and other high-speed telecommunications and ample parking. As part of the effort to achieve EnergyStar certification, Bergman worked with energy management solutions provider GSH Group to install an energy management system.
- 25 B Vreeland Road in Florham Park — one of the twin, three-story atrium office buildings comprising Florham Park Corporate Center, 25 B Vreeland Road is a 113,000-square-foot building that offers flexible floor plates with spaces ranging from 1,000 to 38,000 square feet. The building is situated on a serene corporate campus, and features an on-site, full-service café, an on-site building manager and recently renovated common areas.
- 45 Eisenhower Drive in Paramus — a five-story, Class “A” office building comprised of 175,000 square feet of space, 45 Eisenhower Drive features a full service cafeteria with patio seating, full-time lobby with security desk, card key access, fiber optics and other high-speed telecommunications options, an interior loading dock, ample parking and an on-site building manager. The property is fully sprinklered and alarmed.
Additionally, the EPA renewed the scores of two Bergman properties that had previously earned EnergyStar certification:
- Woodbridge Towers in Iselin — Located at 555 U.S Highway 1 South, Woodbridge Towers is a four-story office building comprised of 85,000 square feet of space. The building is fully sprinklered and alarmed, and features 24-hour card key access with closed-circuit video security, fiber optics and other high-speed telecommunications options, an on-site café, an on-site building manager and ample parking. As part of the effort to achieve EnergyStar certification, Bergman again worked with GSH Group to install an energy management system.
- Kalisa Park in Paramus — Located at 1 Kalisa Way, Kalisa Park is a four-story atrium office building comprised of 80,000 square feet of space. Featuring an attractive atrium lobby that, along with common areas, was recently renovated, Kalisa Park offers partially covered, reserved parking, fiber optics and other high-speed telecommunications options, 24-hour card key access and an on-site building manager. The building is also fully sprinklered and alarmed. As part of the effort to achieve EnergyStar certification, Bergman worked with Emcore Corporation, a provider of systems for the fiber optics and solar power markets, to install energy efficient lighting.
To learn about leasing opportunities at these and other Bergman Real Estate Group properties, contact John G. Osborne or Kelly Ziegenfuss at 732-855-8600.
About Bergman Real Estate Group
Bergman Real Estate Group is a privately owned real estate investment and management firm that specializes in the acquisition, management, leasing and construction of commercial office properties throughout New Jersey. Since its formation in 1988, Bergman Real Estate Group has earned a solid reputation as a leader in the New Jersey commercial office market with a current portfolio consisting of 19 office buildings comprising 1,800,000 square feet, including several New Jersey properties where Bergman provides third party leasing services to private owners. Bergman also owns two additional office buildings in Columbus, Ohio totaling 240,000 square feet. The company continues to actively pursue value-added investment opportunities in the marketplace.